Starting date: 15th September 2022
Duration: 2 months
Location: Kampala, Uganda
Open to: Individual consultants
- Introduction to RELI and its Purpose
Regional Education Learning Initiative Africa (RELI Africa) is an International Non-Government Organisation (INGO) registered in Kenya in 2022. It is a network of over 70 organisations spread across East Africa (Uganda, Kenya & Tanzania) working towards advancing learning outcomes for collective impact through shared learning. In Uganda, RELI currently has 23-member organisations, a number which is anticipated to increase in the years to come. RELI Uganda is organised under three Thematic Clusters: Teacher Development and Support (TDS), Values and Life Skills (VALI), and Equity and Inclusive Education (E&IE). RELI’s long-term goal is to empower its members to become effective and influential organisations capable of influencing policies and practices towards improved learning outcomes across the region. The three specific objectives of RELI revolve around better coordination & alignment, increased member capacity and policy influence for improved learning outcomes.
The overall objective of this consultancy is to support RELI Uganda to develop a three-year strategy (2023-2025) in a participatory manner involving RELI members and other selected stakeholders, thereby ensuring a sense of ownership and local relevance.
- Scope of Work
The consultant will work with RELI Uganda Leadership Team to do the following:
- Carry out a desk review of documents relevant to an understanding of RELI Uganda and analyse where RELI Uganda has been, where it currently is, where it’s going and how we get there, while establishing the link between RELI Uganda and the broader RELI Africa network.
- Undertake a stakeholder mapping and consultation exercise to identify strengths, weaknesses, threats and opportunities for RELI Uganda to contribute meaningfully to education development in Uganda. .
- Facilitate a participatory process of identifying priorities for RELI Uganda from the SWOT analysis undertaken in no. ii above, and from the broader RELI Mission, Vision and Core values.
- Through a consultative process, develop strategic objectives for RELI Uganda and align them with the relevant priorities identified in no. iii above.
- Propose relevant strategies and tactics for achieving the strategic objectives.
- Facilitate a process of identifying indicators for measuring and tracking progress.
- Identify priority changes needed to be made in the way RELI is organised in order for RELI Uganda to be successful.
- Write the full strategic narrative in consultation with RELI Leadership Team.
- Hold stakeholder meeting(s) to validate the draft Strategic Plan and based on feedback received, finalise and submit the Strategic plan.
- Consultant Profile
Required expertise and experience includes:
- Excellent English writing skills and ability to communicate technical concepts clearly and compellingly.
- Relevant experience developing and writing strategic plans or similar such documents
- Experience in working with stakeholders in the NGO sector or with Education programs. It is desired that the consultant also has experience working with Networks.
- Possess significant knowledge of international and national education development issues and priorities.
- Experience in leading and facilitating participatory processes and ability to synthesise and draw conclusions from inputs gathered from stakeholders
- Good knowledge of education developments and current happenings in Uganda and East Africa
- An inception report on the assignment, detailing activities, timelines, and methodology for achieving the specified tasks
- Stakeholder consultation workshop and report
- Development of the first draft of the strategic plan for discussion and validation
- Strategy validation meeting and report
- Final narrative and costed strategy (2023-2025) with inputs from RELI members
- Assessment criteria
The criteria for assessing the proposals shall include:
- Depth of experience;
- Understanding of the assignment;
- Proposed methods of delivering on the assignment;
- Realistic financial proposal
- Consultant reporting lines
The Consultant will report to RELI Uganda Leadership Team through the Country Co-Leads. For regular communication, the primary contact person shall be the Country Facilitator who will also provide any relevant background documents necessary for the assignment and shall be responsible for the coordination of meetings and other activities under the Consultancy in consultation with the Leadership Team.
- Instructions for submission of interest
Interested candidates who meet the above criteria are invited to send their applications to: email@example.com
- Cover letter of not more than two pages (indicating interest and past experiences from similar assignments)
- An updated Curriculum Vitae (with three references)
- At least one sample of previous work successfully completed
- A detailed work plan and narrative proposal for the assignment of not more than 10 pages
- A financial proposal that indicates the all-inclusive fixed total contract price, supported by a breakdown of costs in USD.
Applications are to be submitted on or before 2300 (EAT) on 24th August 2022. The subject of the application letter or e-mail should read ‘EOI: DEVELOPMENT OF RELI UGANDA STRATEGIC PLANand the Cover letter should be addressed to:
The Country Lead(s)
Regional Education Learning Initiative (RELI)
Only e-mail applications will be accepted. Incomplete applications will not be considered and only successful candidates will be contacted. Any form of canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification.
RELI is an equal opportunity employer.